Tuesday, September 15, 2015

I made tofu and I liked it!

Tonight's forray was in to the world of tofu.  I have eaten it once since I stopped eating meat.  It  was General Tso's tofu and was very tasty.  The tofu was a little chewy/spongy, but I chalked that up to the fact that it was sitting in a hot table buffet at Wegman's.    That General Tso's tofu helped me conquer my fear of tofu.  Yes, I had a very real fear of tofu.  I scoffed at the thought of eating it.  When my son asked me what the sofritos were at Chipotle, I said "ew, it's tofu.  You'll never catch me eating that."   So now I eat my words, and  tofu!


I present - Roasted brussel sprouts and crispy baked tofu with honey- sesame glaze.  This is not my recipe, just click on the link to get the recipe and more pics.    


Ingredients for the glaze

The tofu cooked up nicely in the oven.  Tossing it with the arrowroot powder, olive oil/tamari and baking it really crisped up the edges as if it had been pan "fried".   My brussel sprouts looked like they were getting a little too roasty well before the time was up, so I removed them from the oven.    

I didn't let my glaze reduce enough so it was more of a sauce.  But, the sauce/glaze was still AMAZING, and the star of the show.   Seriously, I want to marry this glaze.   It is sweet, salty, spicy, everything I've dreamed of in a glaze!   

The recipe calls for 1-3 tsps of chili garlic sauce/sriracha. I used two teaspoons of sriracha, and was going to add a third, but the sauce/glaze had not reduced so I stopped knowing the flavors would just concentrate more, and they did.   For me, two teaspoons was perfect,   The first taste you get the salty tamari, then some sweet from the honey, and it finishes off with a nice touch of heat from the sriracha(I didn't know til this moment that was spelled SRiracha.  I thought it was Siracha.) I used to love things HOT HOT HOT, but my mouth can't take it anymore.  Sometimes it is difficult to get that heat without it being too hot.  This was really well balanced, and customizable if you do like it hot.  

If you aren't up for/not interested in the tofu, I bet this glaze would be great over some chicken with the brussel sprouts and rice.  



  







No comments:

Post a Comment